Initially, shutters were used as window coverings in most of the houses and worked as a solid and stable covering. These shutters were employed for various reasons like providing privacy, controlling amount of sunlight that enters a room, protection against unwanted intrusion or bad weather as well as enhancing the aesthetics of building.
Nowadays, in order to enhance the look of the house more, people are installing exterior shutters at the doors too. Exterior shutters are basically designed to strengthen a construction during a storm or any kind of siege, but in general, these can be used a decorative furnishing item. Majority of the people install these shutters on windows, but installing them on doors gives a charming and different look to your home.
Presented below are some of the important guidelines that will help in installing exterior door shutters:
Dimension of the shutter frame:
- Evaluate the dimension (i.e., height and width) of opening in door covering, which is generally the frame into which the front door is set.
- For the fixed shutters, each shutter in the pair should match opening’s height by half of the opening’s width. If you are not planning to close the shutters, you can ignore the width of the shutters.
- There is not any reasonable effect if the shutters are up to three inches wider or narrower than the ideal. Like in the French door shutters, it makes no difference if shutters are little bit narrow as it is not visible through naked eyes.
Style of the shutter:
Style of the shutter also contributes in enhancing the look of the house.
- Generally, broad-and-batten shutters are made from vertical planks that are connected by horizontal rails.
- The louvered shutters have angled slats which are fixed as well as movable in order to facilitate ventilation.
- The raised panel shutters are mostly featured for the rail-and-stile construction that creates a chain of recessed rectangles along with the raised frames.
- Some of the stylish shutters have combination of both louvered as well as raised-panel sections. Also, choosing the same style of shutters on doors as well as windows will add beauty to your interior.
Polishing off of the shutter:
For the exterior door shutters, usually both stained as well as painted polishing can work well.
- If you are going with the paint for the shutters, opt for the right choice as well as the right color which complements the rest of your exterior finishes as well as interior décor.
- If you are already having window shutters, you can go with the best option that will complement both – windows as well as door shutters. Also, pay attention that your front door and its door shutter does not match.
- For simplifying the selection for finishing, one can think for the front door, the shutters as well as the exterior of the home as three separate surfaces.
- You can also give a traditional look to your exterior shutters. One of the three surfaces can have bold colors and two surfaces out of them must have neutral finishes. Neutral finishes means finishing with natural stone or brick, paint colors as well as stained wood that the eyes sees as neutral. Neutral paint colors include white, black, different shades of brown or gray and off-white. Additionally, bottle green, olive green as well as blue-gray can also serve as neutral.
Thus, if one wishes to enhance the look of a home with a spectacular vision, one can install exterior door shutters providing it the best look.
Peter Spencer, working with a shutter making company since many years, likes to write and post blogs and articles on various topics. He is sharing some exclusive tips on how to enhance look of your house by using different types of exterior door shutters like French door shutters.