Photo Courtesy: The Living Room
Truly interesting and unique furniture can be found in thrift shops. Of course, to find any thrift furniture that’s perfect for your home will take some time, but it will be worth it. It’s very environmentally friendly, and a great way to explore your interior design personality.
Sidewalk or garage sales are a fabulous place to find real bargains as people often want a quick sale and are willing to lower their prices. They are often unaware of how much things are worth too, so you could find a really great antique item.
Flea markets are brilliant for people who want to furnish their house without spending too much money. You’ll find some fantastic flea markets all around the world, with some of the best in Paris, Madrid, Brimfield, London and San Jose. Not forgetting the 127 Corridor from Jamestown to Gadsden!
Things to keep an eye out for when thrift shopping:
- Glassware – glass will not date if it’s quality made, so it will always look good on your shelf.
- Crockery – blue and white china is a brilliant purchase as it’s loved by so many people!
- 1960’s design chairs – the classic chair, that’s a true investment piece for your home.
- Books – Folios and hardbacks look especially beautiful on a bookshelf, and you’ll want to read them over and over.
- Bedding and Blankets – chintzy prints and home sewn throws is a homely accessory for guest bedrooms.
- Paintings – works of art and paintings from different unknown, or even known, painters are a delight to find and bring home.
- Telephones – difficult to find design classics that only improve with age. Get a phone that won’t break, and doesn’t rely on batteries!
- And anything that is unique that you like and that will compliment your homes interiors!
Don’t forget to ask your local thrift store what days they get new stock in, so that you can be the first person to view amazing new items! In America, a number of cities hold local flea markets on weekends. Many of the shops in these markets will offer you antique treasures that you might not have been expecting at a cheap price.
Online Thrift Stores
Ebay – The ultimate way to buy second-hand goods online, eBay is a great way to sell and buy used furniture online. You can find interior design classics, from antiques to retro goods.
Vivastreet – This UK site has some real bargains on it – check it out now. If you want to find standard, used furniture that you can upholster or paint to suit you, then Vivastreet is perfect! You can specify by area too, so that you are buying in your local area.
Preloved – Another UK site full of local classified adverts for all sorts of goods, including loads of retro and vintage items in really good condition. Thousands of items for sale too!
The Thrift Shopper – Simply type in your zip code and it will find all your nearest thrift stores with ratings, distance from your home, store opening hours and store address! It’s even got a forum where you can talk about anything to do with ‘thrifting’.